Friday 22 June 2007

forgive me scrappers for i have sinned!

OK girls please dont call the scrapping police but i have a confession! after a none stop morning in the shop i decided to have a peek on pencillines for this weeks sketch. And straight away i thought oh i know what i could do with that. (like you do) and set about doing a layout. only after i was half way through i realised it just wasn't working out how i wanted it to look and it needed something to help it pop! OK you with me so far? layout looking pants want it to look good.
Having a look around the shop for what i could add (i was using the once upon a time range BTW) and my eyes rested on the perfect product .... and here is my confession: it was a peel off!! i know i know don't shake your head or Tut tut under your breath or even fall off your stool in shock. i have gone and done it and used a peel off on a layout! and you know what it looks good, brilliant in fact (even if i do say so myself). which got me wondering. why do scrapbookers take such offence at the word peel off, not all of you i admit but a good majority have agreed with me about never using peel offs on layouts. So is it so wrong to use something that makes a layout complete? or is it the fact that they are cheap and as a rule scrapbooking costs a lot? its like saying OK its a paper craft product for paper crafting but i wouldn't use it. Or put another way not going in a cheap restaurant that sells good food? or is there another reason i am missing?OK not all peeloffs look great on layouts, they are aimed at cards i get that. just to clarify i used a boarder peeloff, so are they wrong to use too? should i have spent hours trying to emboss to get the same effect? i know that i like it and from now on will be looking at peeloffs with a new eye. confession over and don't die from shock!!!!!!!!!! :D

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Personally, I dislike peel-offs (only exception being when they're kinda disguised in a way or look like something else like the eyelet ones or sometimes the photo corner ones) I think they became something that was used by absolutely everybody in cardmaking when it took off in a big way and half the time it looked as though people had gone 'oh theres a space, I'll stick a peel-off on it' and it just didn't look 'right'. It's not a cost thing - I love being thrifty with my scrapping (have to really cos my budget isn't big) and try not to buy new expensive embellies when I could use something else that's cheaper. Overall I would say that for me personally I don't use them simply because I just don't like the look when I use them. Some people use them really effectively on layouts and all credit to them!

Anonymous said...

Hi naomi i hate peel-offs too but your layout looks gorgous with jessi on it and ive used them peel-offs today although they dont look as good as yours do.